No one did us any favors by declaring this Rolling Stones week on "American Idol."
Mostly, the Stones haven't had great songs. They've had pretty good ones, transformed via their great talent. Now the "Idol" kids -- some of them born more than 30 years after the Stones began -- had to find a way to make them fres.
Several succeeded. There were great moments from Siobhan Magnus, Michael Lynche and Crystal Bowersox, good ones from Katie Stevens, Casey James, Aaron Kelly and Page Miles. Only five of them ranged from bad (Tim Urban) to bland.
Here are a few of my comments; please add yours:
1) No matter what happens, I still miss Lilly Scott and Katelyn Epperly. Please read my previous blog, interviewing them.
2) No one yet rules the stage the way Bo Bice or Taylor Hicks did. Still, those guys were unburdened by instruments; it's harder to romp when you're attached to a guitar.
3) Some people have mastered the theatrical approach of Adam Lambert. Michael Lynche, a theater veteran, is always sharp; Siobhan Magnus turned "Paint It Black" into a performance piece.
4) The costume people must have thought they heard "Paint It Grey." From contestants to judges, everyone seemed dressed in grey, the kind you wear when you can't remember if you're going to a seminar or a funeral. Come on, people, rock 'n' roll is supposed to be fun.
5) Still, it was a splendid night for the accessories folks. This was a great batch of earrings and necklaces.
6) I haven't figured out Siobhan's tattoo yet. I think it's a guy on a horse with an umbrella, but I don't know why.
7) What Siobhan does do, brilliantly, is the primal screen. A scream destroyed Danny Gokey last season, but she's mastered it twice.
8) Yes, Crystal is still my favorite. She wasn't the best tonight, but she was terrific. And yes, I'd be much happier if Lilly hadn't been voted off.
9) My prediction? The bottom three has Tim Urban, Andrew Garcia and Lacey Brown. Then Tim goes home.
10) Then again, I coulde be wrong. Last week, I was way wrong. Or, actually, the voters were.