When they announced that this would be Sinatra-song week on "American Idol," I promptly said Michael Lynche and Aaron Kelly would do well. I was ... well, semi-correct.
They sang well, which must have been what I was predicting. Then the viewers plunked them into the bottom two. Viewers rarely consult with me.
Fortunately, Big Mike -- an immense talent -- survived; Aaron, a good singer with a promising future -- was voted out. Here are a few of my comments; please add yours:
1) Wait, what was that Lady Gaga number, with all the topless guys? I'm pretty sure she just re-created the "Eyes Wide Shut" orgy scene in reverse.
2) How did Casey James escape the bottom two, after another bland, blah song choice? This guy has shrugged and snoozed his way into the final four.
3) There was also a lot of smoke and fog and a semi-naked Lady Gaga. I think I've seen that before, it .... oh wait, never mind, it was just in a private reverie of mine.
4) Here's an irony for you: Tonight, when Aaron sang the words "when I was 17 ..." he had been 17 for all of 33 days.
5) The best thing about being Frank Sinatra was that at 75 he got to kiss Jill Goodacre smack on the lips. Jill was then a leading model for Victoria's Secret; her husband (Harry Connick Jr.) told the story of Sinatra's sudden kiss. It's something most of us would do, if we were Sinatra.
6) Jill's mother, incidentally, is Glenna Goodacre, a renowned sculptor, best-known for the Vietnam Women's Memorial. Her father was in real-estate -- the perfect job for a guy named Goodacre.
7) I loved hearing Connick work magic with "And I Love Her." That's a Beatles tune that sort of faded out while "Yesterday" was becoming the most-performed song ever. He revived it beautifully.
8) Lee DeWyze clearly has a shot at being in the top two on May 25. Let's hope that gives him sufficient time to shave his chin.
9) OK, it's odd enough when one judge (Simon Cowell) shows up in an undershirt. Tonight, Kara DioGuardi did it, too. Really, you never see Judge Judy in an undershirt, do you?
10) Then the results came and Big Mike survived (barely). I still want to see him in the top two with Crystal Bowersox. We'll see.