The previous blog offera an overview of the upcoming "American Idol" season. A sidebar is coming, but first here's a box with the basics:
By MIKE HUGHES
The new edition of “American Idol”
is ready to consume our TV time. Here's a summary:
– When: 8-10 p.m. Wednesdays and 8-9
p.m. Thursdays, Fox.
– Except for: Thursday episodes run
two-hours on Jan. 17, Feb. 21 and Feb. 28. Also, there's a Tuesday
episode on March 5.
– First round (Jan. 16-31):
Auditions. That starts with New York on Jan. 16 and Chicago on Jan,
– Second round (Feb. 6-14): Hollywood
round. It trims the field from 276 to 40.
– Semi-finals (Feb. 20-28): Las Vegas
round. Each has 10 males Wednesday and 10 females Thursday. Half of
those will move on as the final 20.
– Semi-finals (March 5-7): First live
shows. The 10 men are the first night, the 10 women are the second.
After each, viewers vote. On the third night, they'll learn who's in
the final 10.
– Finals (starting March 13): On
Wednesdays, survivors sing and viewers vote; on Thursdays, someone
– Who's new: Mariah Carey, Nicki
Minaj and Keith Urban are judges.
– Who's always there: Randy Jackson
judging and Ryan Seacrest hosting.