1) Golden Globes build-up, E and NBC. The Globes are all about glitter and starpower … which starts early. E has a preview at 4 p.m. ET and red-carpet coverage from 6-8 p.m., with Ryan Seacrest and Giuliana Rancic in charge; it also has an after-show at 11. NBC has its own red-carpet show at 7 p.m. ET… and expects the start of the Globes(at 8) to be fun. Avoiding the dreary, no-host approach of recent Oscars and Emmys, the Globes are bringing back Ricky Gervais (shown here) or his fifth time as host.
2) Golden Globe awards, 8-11 p.m. ET, NBC. The show covers TV and movies, with some people calling it as an Oscar prelude. The problem: It splits movies into two categories – drama and comedy-or-musical – with little logic. “Knives Out” and “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood” (terrific movies with occasional humor) pretend they’re comedies; they face “Rocketman,” “Jojo Rabbit”and “Dolemite Is My Name”; the dramas are “Joker,” “1917” “The Irishman,” “Marriage Story” and “The Two Popes.”
3) Musicals, 4 p.m. to 11:15 p.m ET., Turner Classic Movies. The light-hearted – and light-headed – “Beach Party” (1963) is followed by two films that handed Broadway musicals to heavy-duty movie directors. “Annie” (1982), from Oscar-winner John Huston, is at 5:45 p.m. ET; “Fiddler on the Roof” (1982), from seven-time Oscar-nominee Norman Jewision, is at 8. “Annie” is boosted by Carol Burnett and Albert Finney, but quite confined; “Fiddler” sprawls, giving us the best of both stage and screen.
4) “God Friended Me,” 8 p.m., CBS. After taking three weeks off, the show has Judd Hirsch as a Holocaust survivor, leading to a key clue: So far, Joy discovers, every friend suggestion has been linked to one insurance company.
5) “Naked and Afraid,” 8-11 p.m., Discovery. The 11th season brings back previous people, now going alone. That starts with Luke McLaughlin, who survived 21 days in Namibia and 40 days in Colombia and runs a the Holistic Survival School in North Carolina. A two-hour special looks at his past efforts; at 10 p.m., a new episode puts him in South Africa, amid lions and hyenas and more.