1) “Prodigal Son” return, 9 p.m., Fox. Here’s talent from all over the British Isles. Tom Payne (from England) stars, with Michael Sheen (Wales) as his dad, who’s a doctor and a convicted serial killer. Now Catherine Zeta-Jones (also Wales) has joined the cast as the prison doctor. And Alan Cumming (Scotland) arrives as a British detective. Cumming (showh nere with Bellamy Young) has an over-the-top style that dominates, but the hour ends with a great scene between Sheen and Zeta-Jones.
2) “The Resident” return, 8 p.m., Fox. Returning from a month-long break(as does “Prodigal Son”), this has a pivotal hour. We won’t spoil any surprises, but it includes a wedding, some apparent departures and a sharp disappointment. One story (involving Bell’s stepson) is heavy-handed, but another (involving Austin and Okafor) is beautifully crafted. Jessica (the nurse) has two scenes, one funny and one gorgeous. There’s much more, including a human relationship for the steely Dr. Cain.
3) “Big Sky” return, 9 and 10 p.m., ABC. The third phase begins for this intense tale. In the fifth episode, the teen sisters were freed and Rick (one of their captors) was wounded. After a month-long break, the next four episodes saw Rick killed by his wife, but Ronald (the other captor) escape. Now – after a two-month break – we have the season’s final seven episodes. With Cody slain, his ex-wife and ex-girlfriend run his detective agency. A case begins … while Ronald still looms.
4) “Mayans M.C.,” 10 p.m., FX, repeating at 11:22 p.m. and 12:44 a.m. Last week, EZ got back with his sweet-spirited love interest. Then he was shot from behind. That’s where this beautifully crafted hour starts; it has long moments of emotional power, peppered by fierce spurts of violence.
5) ALSO: After a strong episode last week,”Young Rock” (8 p.m., NBC) has a so-so one here. The teen Dwayne gets caught in the lies he’s told to a rich beauty. More promising is “This Is Us” (9 p;.m., NBC), with Kevin visiting Randall in Philadelphia. And at 10, PBS’ “Frontline” has “American Insurrection.” Earlier, it focused on the Jan. 6 attack; now it takes a broader look at far-right groups.