1) “American Experience: American Oz,” 9-11 p.m., PBS. After a blissful childhood, Frank Baum dreamed big, often with his dad’s financial backing. He raised thoroughbred chickens; he wrote, produced and starred in a touring musical. In South Dakota, he tried a high-end store and then a newspaper that went from feminism to proposing Indian annihilation. He failed often and then, in his 40s, succeeded with children’s short tales … a window-dressers’ magazine … and “The Wizard of Oz,” a classic book that became an immensely popular movie (shown here).
2) “9-1-1” and “9-1-1: Lone Star” return, 8 and 9 p.m., Fox. After five-week breaks, the shows deal with horrific car accidents. In “9-1-1,” the team races to the rescue, amid other key moments: Maddie (Jennifer Love Hewitt) goes into labor; the devastated Hen and Karen prepare their foster daughter to be reunited with her birth mother. In “Lone Star,” Judd (a firefigher) and his wife Grace (a 9-1-1 operator) linger near death, as flashbacks show how they met and fell in love.
3) “Amertican Idol,” 8-10 p.m., ABC. There’s still a spot open in the final 10 … to be filled in a new way: Ten people from last year perform and viewers will vote; next week – there’s no Sunday show – one will get the spot. The performers are: Faith Becnel, Franklin Boone, Dwayne Crocker Jr., Cyniah Elise, Arthur Gunn, Aliana Jester, Louis Knight, Nick Merico, Makayla Phillips and Olivia Ximines.
4) “Bob (Hearts) Abishola,” 8:30 p.m., CBS. Gina Yashere is a key force in this terrific comedy. She co-created it, helps produce and write it and co-stars as Abishola’s friend Kemi. Now she gets the spotlight: Kemi is devastated after her hadsome boyfriend breaks up with her.
5) “Midsomer Murders” and “Keeping Faith,” www.acorn.tv. “Midsomer” has been around since 1997, even changing stars once. Its previous 21 seasons are on this streaming site, plus two movie-length stories arriving today, to start the 22nd year; two more will arrive this fall. Meanwhile, the third chapter of a six-parter finds Faith (superbly played by Eve Myles) overwhelmed by an impossible court case, a scheming ex-husband and the return of her mother, with an ominous moment at the end of this hour.