1) “What We Do In the Shadows,” 10 p.m., FX. Generations ago, these vampires were sent to colonize America. So far, heir domain is a fraction of one block in Staten Island. The solution is to propose an alliance with the Manhattan leader (Nick Kroll, shown here), who has his own dance club. Deftly directed by co-creator Jemain Clement, the result is hilarious … especially when you add a great opening bit, involving a college student who’s a newly turned vampire.
2) “Modern Family,” 9 p.m., ABC. In last week’s hilarious season-finale – with Haley and Dylan almost marrying – his hippie mom provided one of many complications. Now ABC plans to rerun the episode when we first met her. Also, Mitch’s old issue of Playgirl magazine makes Cam jealous.
3) “Jane the Virgin,” 9 p.m., CW. Life was easier when Michael — Jane’s not-dead-after-all husband — had amnesia; Jane could continue to romance – and, maybe, marry — Rafael. But Michael’s memory is returning and her world is spinning. It’s another slick, smart hour. In its final season, “Jane” remains a marvel – bright, breezy and fun, even while dousing its characters with a cascade of problems.
4) “Empire,” 8 p.m., Fox. In a wild, soap-style twist, Lucious learned he’s the biologic father of his arch-enemy, Jeff Kingsley. Now Kingsley seeks out the truth of what happened. All of that comes amid the family’s worries about Andre’s lymphoma cancer; also, Jamal and Kai reach an understanding.
5) “The Magicians” season-finale, 9 p.m., Syfy. In last week’s final minutes, two messenger bunnies (the talking kind) arrived to say the monsters were in the library. Quentin and Alice gulped from the sea of magic – protecting themselves so neither would transform into a fish, like Josh did – and raced there. Now Quentin confronts a monster who’s occupying the body of Julia, his friend since childhood. There’s more, but some of it gets kind of weird.