1) “The Righteous Gemstones” debut, 10 p.m., HBO. Danny McBride co-created and starred in two shows — “Eastbound & Down” and “Vice Principals” — that had a ragged, working-bloke feel. Now he goes way upscale; we’re at a mega-church, full of glitz and gimmicks. John Goodman is the pastor and patriarch, at a loss since the death of his wife (Jennifer Nettles, via flashbacks). In the fairly entertaining opener, their sons (McBride and Adam Devine, shown here) and and daughter (Edi Patterson) get in huge trouble.
2) Football, 4 p.m. ET, CBS; 8 p.m. ET, Fox. Here are two pre-season games, with teams that had strong seasons last year. The opener has the New Orleans Saints (13-3) and the Los Angeles Chargers (12-4); the second game has the Seattle Seahawks (10-6) and the Minnesota Vikings (8-7-1). You probably won’t see the starters for long, but the networks will warm up their top crews: CBS has last year’s Super Bowl team, Jim Nantz and Tony Romo; Fox has Joe Buck and Troy Aikman.
3) “Instinct,” 9 and 10 p.m., CBS. A week from the series finale, Dylan finally has a lead in the hunt for the “Sleeping Beauty Killer”; tha may lead to a faceoff on a ship. In the second hour, the case involves the deaths of three people who were partners in a craft brewery.
4) “Scandalous” opener, 8 p.m. T, Fox News Channel. A three-week documentary looks at the death of Marilyn Monroe. It’s the fourth edition of the series, following one on Bill Clinton and two on Kennedys; we’re guessing that Kennedys show up in this one, too.
5) “Good Witch” season-finale, 8 p.m., Hallmark. This is about as far from scandalous as a show can be. We’re in a small town, where problems can sometimes by solved by Cassie’s witchly powers. Tonight, her sweet-faced daughter has her high school graduation, along with the son of Cassie’s new husband Sam. Also, the search for the town treasure leads to a surprising discovery.