1) “The Voice” finale, 9-11 p.m., NBC. It’s time to name the 17th champion. None of the previous 16 have found mega-success – the closest was Cassadee Pope – but the show draws big ratings. A recap is at 8 p.m., including Monday’s performances. Then the finale has music from the judges, others and the final four – Ricky Duran, 29; Jake Hood, 30; Rose Short, 34 (shown here); and Katie Kadan, 38.
2) “How the Grinch Stole Christmas,” 7:30 p.m., TNT, and “A Charlie Brown Christmas,” 8 p.m., ABC. Here’s a rare chance to catch two of TV’s all-time greatest moments, back-to-back. Both start with deep, unapologetic emotion … but then add rich layers of music, wit and sight gags.
3) More family shows, TNT and ABC. TNT precedes “Grinch” with “Elf on the Shelf” at 7 and follows it with one of the great movies – “The Wizard of Oz” (1939), No. 10 on the America Film Institute’s all-time list – at 8 p.m. ABC rounds out its 8 p.m. hour with “Charlie Brown Christmas Tales,” then reruns a couple of so-so cartoons – “Olaf’s Frozen Adventure” and “Shrek the Halls” – at 9 and 9:30.
4) “The Resident,” 8 p.m. Tuesday, Fox. The hospital has been in flux, since its new owner brought in super-surgeon Barrett Cain (Morris Chestnut). Now that bubbles over, in a “fall finale” that includes two jolting plot shifts. The result shows “Resident” at its best – making us care about the doctors and patients – and its worst. It’s been willing to transform characters, for plot convenience. Earlier, Dr. Bell went from heel to hero. Now two more doctors (Devon and Mina), have out-of-character moments.
5) “Empire,” 9 p.m. Fox. When was the last time you were at a live event and someone did something outrageous? It happens occasionally in real life and often on “Empire”; it happens again here, in a fall finale that’s full of extremes. How full? The same character has three moments facing gunpoint … three couples have this-is-the-end arguments … and the bipolar Andre talks to (and is manipulated by) his late half-brother. Wedged in here is a triumphant moment for trans singer-actress Alexandra Grey.