1) “Last Man Standing” season-opener, 8 and 8:30 p.m., Fox. It’s been a wild ride for Tim Allen’s comedy – six years on ABC … a year in limbo … a year on Fox … then another five months on the shelf. Now it’s back and in its usual form – sometimes clever, sometimes not, but generally enjoyable. In the first episode, Mike’ and Vanessa (Allen and Nancy Travis, shown here) see two daughters feud, while the third snipes from the sidelines; the story is contrived, but the dialog is fun. The second episode is lame, but it’s still good to have “Man” back.
2) “Deputy” debut, 9 p.m., Fox. Maybe believability is overrated. If we can accept singing snowmen and flying carpets, we might – or might not – accept the excesses here. There is dialog that no human would utter and car chases (endangering bystanders) that no one, we hope, would try. Still, this is oddly entertaining. Stephen Dorff plays a loose-cannon cop. Then an obscure old rule makes him the Los Angeles County sheriff. There’s more shouting, more shooting and high-octane entertainment.
3) “What is Jeopardy: Alex Trebek and America’s Most Popular Quiz Show,” 8 p.m., ABC. For a show that’s been on the air for 50 years, “Jeopardy” has stirred fresh interest. Part of that comes from the record, $2.7 million run by James Holzhauer; part comes from Alex Trebek’s struggle with stage 4 pancreatic cancer. “Jeopardy” started in 1964, with Art Fleming hosting for 15 years. It was off the air for five years, then returned in 1984, with Trebek; at 79, he guides a ratings winner.
4) “The Great American Baking Show: Holiday Edition” finale, 9 and 10 p.m., ABC. The holidays are over now, but this show still needs to choose a winner. Tonight, the finalists face six challenges.
5) “Christina on the Coast” season-opener,” 9 p.m., HGTV. At first, it was “Flip or Flop,” with an immensely telegenic couple – Tarek and Christina El Moussa – renovating homes. The couple split, but continued to do the show; now she has her own renovation show. As the second season begins, she’s married to British TV host Ant Anstead and she learns she’s pregnant. The baby was born in September.