1) “Grown-ish,” 8 p.m., Freeform. This well-crafted comedy-drama leans way to the drama side tonight. Nomi(Emily Arlook, at right with Yara Shahidi) takes the first ultrasound of her pregnancy; that’s followed by celebration … arguments … and life-changing questions. It’s a smart and serious episode, peppered by some comedy, with Sky in the midst of a serious debate: Is her new boyfriend black or white?
2) “Tommy,” 10 p.m., CBS. After its terrific debut last week, “Tommy” settles into business: A cop has been killed and there’s talk of vengeance … some stirred by the old police chief (Corbin Bernsen). Now the new chief (Edie Falco) must do some quick investigating. It’s a stark and sobering story that ends early … then jolts us into rethinking the seemingly benign mayor.
3) “Katy Keene,” 8 p.m., CW. Last week’s opener kept thrusting good fortune on Katy (Lucy Hale). She shares a good New York apartment with great friends; she’s bright, beautiful and talented … and has a nice-guy hunk boyfriend. He proposed … and a thief swiped the ring. Now – in something that will perplex most viewers – she’s unsure she wants to marry the guy. One roommate, Josie, also has good fortune; another (Jorge) struggles. It’s a likable show, but one that’s impossible to believe.
4) “Outmatched,” 8:30 p.m., Fox; and “Indebted,” 9:30 p.m., NBC. Having smart kids has suddenly become comedy fodder. That’s the theme of the Fox show; tonight, the kids suggest moving out. And it’s key to this episode of NBC’s show: The boy might get into a gifted class, just as his dad did. The latter has a few good lines … and a lot that seem forced and jokey.
5) “The Bold Type,” 9 p.m., Freeform. Like “Katy Keene,” this show sometimes makes life way too easy for its young New Yorkers. That’s especially true of Sutton, now in a million-dollar apartment with her boyfriend. Tonight’s story focuses mostly on Jane, whose love life goes stale; that brings a journey to “adult toys” and an “adult party” and such, in a so-so – but very explicit – episode.