1) “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” (shown here), 8 p.m.,, NBC. Here is one of TV’s all-time greatest moments, a perfect blend of two witty geniuses – author Dr. Seuss and animator Chuck Jones. Catch it often; It will be on TBS on Dec. 6 and 13, on TNT on Dec. 17 and then back to NBC on Dec. 25.
2) “Great Performances: Lea Salonga in Concert,” 9-10:30 p.m., PBS. It’s been 31 years since the teen-aged Salonga originated the title role in “Miss Saigon,” winning an Olivier award and, soon, a Tony. She went on to more musicals (“Les Miserables,” “Once On This Island”) and some animated movies (“Mulan,” “Aladdin”). In this Sydney Opera House concert, she beautifully does songs from those, plus Broadway classics (“Music Man,” “She Loves Me”) and the movie “The Greatest Showman.”
3) “Minions Holiday Special” debut, 8:30 p.m., NBC. Here are four mini-movies, each with the little yellow “Despicable Me” characters – sometimes joined by characters from “Sing” and “The Secret Life of Pets.” This is the season’s lone new cartoon, surrounded by reruns. At 8 p.m., ABC has “Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town,” CW has “Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer” and CBS has the fun “Frosty the Snowman,” with its disappointing sequel at 8:30.
4) “The Pet Project,” 9 p.m., CBS. Jane Pauley looks at many aspects of pets, from viral videos to the notion that some owners resemble their pets. She views presidential pets, visits the National Zoo’s baby giant panda and meets Bindi Irwin, continuing the work of her late “crocodile hunter” father.
5) New Christmas movies. Beginning today, every weekend will be stuffed with them. At 8 p.m. today,m Hallmark has Bethany Joy Lenz in “Five Star Christmas” and Lifetime has Melissa Joan Hart and Jason Priestley in “Dear Christmas.” Both channels have new ones on Saturday (when Hallmark Movies & Mysteries also has one) and Sunday (when Ion jumps in).