1) “All American” season-opener, 8 p.m., CW. Fiction blends with a real-life tragedy. “All American,” based loosely on the life of former pro-football player Spencer Paysinger, has teens trying to escape their roots in Los Angeles’ tough Crenshaw area. In real life, Nipsy Hussle — a rapper, activist and philanthropist from Crenshaw – was shot March 31; he died at 33. A memorial (shown here) for him offers a backdrop for some potent moments, as Spencer and his coach face live-changing decisions.
2) “Bob (Hearts) Abishola,” 8:30 p.m., CBS. Here’s a surprising step for a romantic comedy: In this episode (the third), Bob and Abishola only spend 30 seconds together. That puts the spotlight on the supporting characters; the Nigerian ones are first-rate, delivering comedy lines with droll precision.
3) “The Good Doctor,” 10 p.m., ABC. For eight seasons, writer-producer David Shore and actor Robert Sean Leonard were part of the terrific “House.” Now Shore has this medical show, with Leonard in an offbeat guest role: He plays a fisherman who wants a marlin removed from his thigh – but without damaging the prize fish. Also Dr. Claire Browne prepares for her first time as lead surgeon.
4) “Black Lightning” season-opener, 9 p.m., CW. As its second season starts, this takes a sharp – much-needed – turn. After a mass escape, officials are rounding up anyone with special powers. That puts Pierce (who’s Black Lightning) in confinement, while his daughters work secretly from the outside. It’s a sharp and smart detour for a show that had been getting a bit repetitive.
5) “Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries,” any time, www.acorn.tv. This likable Australian series – with Essie Davis as Phryne Fisher, a 1920s crime-solver – keeps getting new life. It had three seasons, the last in 2015, then spawned a spin-off, with Geraldine Hakewill as Phryne’s niece in the ’60s. Now Davis is back – in a movie next year and with reruns of these third season. The opener has a flashy, magic-show backdrop … plus Phryne’s schemng dad and a variation on an Agatha Christie plot twist.