1) “The Good Place,” 9 p.m., NBC. D’Arcy Carden has been terrific as Janet, the human-like database … and Bad Janet (shown here), her foul alter-ego … and Neutral Janet and more. Now mega-Janets are needed, as the judge decides the Earth’s future. A fairly good episode gets better in the final minutes.
2) “Mom,” 9 p.m. Thursday, CBS. Thursdays overflow with sharp comedy – especially on NBC, where “Perfect Harmony” leads into the final seasons of “The Good Place” and “Will & Grace.” So we might overlook the witty “Mom,” with women who are wonderfully aware of their own faults. Tobnight, Bonnie (Allison Janney, with six Emmys and an Oscar) and Adam reluctantly double-date with Jill and Andy. Tammy, who lacks a sensitive side, needs Christy to mediate a sensitive subject with Marjorie.
3) “Preppy Murder: Death in Central Park,” 9-11 p.m., Sundance and AMC. As Wednesday’s two-hour opener ended, the prevailing view lingered: Robert Chambers – on trial for killing Jennifer Levin – was your typical preppy, born into wealth, privilege and good behavior. Now the prosecution finds that he had little money and less humanity. He was dropped by several schools for bad grades and worse behavior. He was also suspected (often) of theft, but rarely faced consequences.
4) “Doc Martin” season-finale, any time, www.acorn.tv. As the ninth season ends, key questions linger. Will this doctor – wise and honest, but with rudeness and a phobia about blood – lose his license? Will his wife get pregnant? Will his receptionist marry Al, the barkeep? All of that gets answered tonight … and not always in the ways we expect. We also didn’t expect to see a dog running around with a human digit. It’s a good episode that leaves us hoping there will be a tenth season.
5) “Grey’s Anatomy,” 8 p.m., ABC. Is everyone’s medical license in danger? On the day that “Doc Martin” faces a reckoning, Meredith faces the medical board, with her future uncertain. Meanwhile, with many of their mentors away, the residents compete to see which ones do the best on their cases