1) “Miracle Workers: Dark Ages,” 10:30 p.m., TBS. King Cragnoor the Heartless earned his name as a young man. His son, alas, remains Prince Chauncley the (To Be Determined). He’s not sure about taking over the family business; neither is Mary Poopshoveler (we’re using a euphemism). She dreams of getting an education … except there’s not currently any knowledge available. This is from the writer of last year’s brilliant “Miracle Workers,” with the same actors (Daniel Radcliffe,shown here, Steve Buscemi, etc.) in new roles. The result is hilarious.
2) “Arrow” series-finale, 9 p.m., CW, with preview at 8. From its beginning eight years ago, this has been just what the struggling network needed – a crisply produced action show with youth appeal. It has launched the “Arrowverse” – seven shows (and two web series), all based on DC comics and almost all produced by Greg Berlanti. Two weeks ago, Oliver Queen (Green Arrow) was killed while saving the world. Last week, viewers got a peek at a potential spin-off; now CW says we’ll see him (and his widow Felicity) in the finale.
3) “American Experience: The Poison Squad,” 9-11 p.m., PBS. There’s nothing new, it seems, about snubbing science and jettisoning an inconvenient truth. Harvey Wiley became the Department of Agriculture’s chief chemist in 1882 and began preaching of dangers in food. Corporations attacked him; Congress ignored him. But women – who didn’t yet have the vote – took up the cause; so, belatedly, did President Teddy Roosevelt. The Pure Food and Drug Act finally passed in 1906. It’s a long and fascinating piece of history.
4) “NCIS,” 8 p.m. CBS. Torres (Wilmer Valderrama) is in the intensive care unit, after he and Bishop (Emily Wickersham) are victims of a hit-and-run driver.
5) “Schitt’s Creek,” 9 p.m., Pop. The long-awaited trailer for Moira’s movie is finally here. She wants everyone to see it (not easy, when you’re techno-ignorant) and love it (not easy when she plays a killer crow). It’s a strong start for an episode that otherwise is merely OK. One story has Alexis trying to take the maid-of-honor role from Stevie; another finds an unexpected tenant in the just-purchased motel.
– Mike Hughes, TV America