1) “Council of Dads,” 8 p.m., NBC. Amid all TV’s summer silliness, it’s refreshing to see a drama in the “This Is Us” mode. After getting a week off (for “Red Nose Day”), the intense “Blindspot” is at 9 p.m.. with the quieter “Dads” at 8: Christmas is coming and Robin (Sarah Wayne Callies, shown here) worries: She’s a doctor; her late husband was the fun one who brightened the holidays for the kids. Before his death, he asked three friends to be part-time “dads,” but they’re floundering. Now two of his kids face troubles.
2) “Burden of Truth,” 8 p.m., CW. New drama hours are rare now for the broadcast networks – except on Thursdays, when CW and NBC have two apiece. This Canadian series is skillfully acted and directed … yet strains credibility. That peaked at the end of last week’s season-opener, when a woman returned home to find her children had been snatched by child-services people. Now a childhood friend (Kristin Kreuk), a big-city lawyer, struggles to help. Solid drama alternates with extreme plot twists.
3) “In the Dark,” 9 p.m., CW. Like other TV people – including characters on “Good Girls.” “Snowfall” and “All American” – Murphy is in way too deep, in the grips of drug dealers and more. Unlike the others, she’s also blind. Now things tighten on her, as she tries to help an ex-boyfriend who’s in prison … while her roommate fumes at her for all of this. There are some powerful moments tonight – especially when she visits the prison – alongside some over-the-top ones.
4) “Young Sheldon,” 8 p.m., CBS. A good rerun has Meemaw convincing her boyfriend to take her to the casino. He reluctantly puts her grandson Georgie in charge of the store, with major consequences. That starts the night’s only comedy line-up, with new episodes of “Man With a Plan” and “Broke” at 8:30 and 9:30 and a “Mom” rerun – Margie wants to connect with her estranged son – at 9.
5) “Siren” season-finale, 10 p.m., Freeform. Desperate to save her daughter, Ryn is ready for the ulitimate confrontation – her mermaid tribe (aided by Ben) against the one led by Tia. Meanwhile, Helen and the hybrids try to restore order; Maddie and Robb try to find a cure for Xander.