1) “In the Dark,” 9 p.m., CW. Occasionally – not often– an OK show turns terrific. That’s happened in the second season of this story. Previously (shown here) Murphy, who is blind, was almost caught slipping drugs to her ex-boyfriend Mas in . When her ex-boyfriend Max in prison. Now forces converge – Max … a crooked cop … an almost-honest cop … Nia and Josiah, the competing drug lords … Jess, the ex-friend … Ben, the druggie employee. The first seven minutes and the final minute are sensational; the rest is very good.
2) “The Unicorn” return, 8:30 p.m., CBS. After a successful first season, “Unicorn” had a three-month break. Now it’s back for reruns, as a widowed dad moves hesitantly back into life. Tonight, he finally has a romance; his daughters promptly take advantage by having friends over.
3) “Mom,” 9 p.m., CBS. Let’s think of this as a “3rd Rock From the Sun” reunion: On that show, Kristen Johnston and French Stewart played outer-space aliens who pretended to be human siblings. Now? Johnston is Tammy, the ex-con who, long ago, was Bonnie’s foster sister; Stewart plays Chef Rudy, Christy’s boss. Tonight, the two try to have a romance.
4) “Labor of Love,” 9 p.m., Fox. All dates aren’t created equal, you know. When Gary Malec had a “date” with Kristy Katzmann, they were surrounded by noisy kids; tonight, Kyle Klinger’s date involves snuggling with wine, talk and kisses. Then there’s Trent Broach’s date tonight – an entire amusement park (no lines), plus talented dancers cavorting to “The Time of My Life.” In four weeks, Katzmann has trimmed the field from 16 men to six; with four weeks left, she can ease the pace.
5) ALSO: In the midst of all the summer silliness, there are two serious dramas at 8 p.m. On CW’s “Burden of Truth,” Joanna becomes suspicious her her home town’s Family Services people. On NBC’s “Council of Dads,” the widowed Robin is reluctantly falling for Sam, at a time when her life is chaotic: When she shares a secret with her step-daughter Luly, things go badly.