1) “On the Waterfront” (1954) and “North by Northwest” (1959), 6 and 8 p.m. ET, Turner Classic Movies. These truly great movies that have nothing in common … except Eva Marie Saint. “Waterfront” is black-and-white, intense and maybe the best-acted movie ever. Marlon Brando and Saint got Oscars; Rod Steiger, Karl Malden and Lee J. Cobb were nominated. “Northwest” is simply fun, a colorful Alfred Hitchcock romp that has Cary Grant, Saint and classic chase scenes, including the one shown here.
2) “Love Island,” 8-10 p.m., CBS. OK, it’s possible that some of us forget to watch this reality show, at 9 p.m. daily (except Wednesdays). Not to worry, CBS plans a two-hour recap each Saturday.
3) NASCAR and more, all day. This was supposed to be the start of the college football season, but the games were canceled, pushing the start back a week. Other sports, however, are busy: NBC is in Daytona (7:30 p.m.ET, preview at 7) for the final race of the regular NASCAR season. TNT has the pro basketball play-offs (check Sports for details). Fox has baseball at 1:15 p.m. ET and boxing at 8, with Erislandy Lara and Greg Vendetti clashing for the WBA super welterweight title.
4) “The Way Back” (2020), 8 p.m., HBO. Many of the sports are gone for now, but there are still some solid sports movies. Ben Affleck plays a former basketball star, now alcoholic, with a chance to coach at his old school. The woes seem to be piled on arbitrarily, but Affleck is terrific.
5) “Saturday Night Live,” 11:29 p.m., NBC. This reruns Jennifer Lopez’s third turn as host … and the first in which she didn’t double as music guest. That spot goes to DaBaby.