1) “United States of Al,” 8:30 p.m., CBS. The big networks don’t have many new, scripted episodes this summer, but CBS as two of them tonight – each a week before its season-finale. First is this likable comedy. Riley and his daughter want to bring home a stray dog (shown here), but Al objects. Also, Riley’s dad goes on his first date with Lois.
2) “Clarice,” 10 p.m., CBS. Here’s the other new hour, setting up next week’s finale. Clarice’s efforts finally pay off and a raid on Alastor Pharmaceuticals is planned. Then she has a moment of rage, punches another FBI agent and – in the Hollywood tradition – turns in her badge and gun.
3) “Holey Moley” season-opener, 8 and 9 p.m., ABC. It’s a game-filled summer for ABC, with three-hour blocks Sundays, Wednesdays and now Thursdays. Tonight has “The Hustler” at 10 p.m., preceded by two hours of offbeat miniature golf. The first introduces new holes, including Agony of Defeat; the second may offer some romance.
4) Golf, 7-10 p.m., NBC. This network has no room for its regular shows. It has Olympic trials all week (including swim finals tonight at 10) … and now adds the start of the U.S. Open.
5) “Legacies,” 9 p.m., CW. Hallucinations are OK, perhaps, but not if you’re stuck in one. Hope, Josie and Lizzie try to escape a science-fiction nightmare. That’s a new hour, following a new “Walker” (8 p.m.), in which Walker takes Stella and August on a road trip, to discuss devastating news.