1) “Icon: Music Through the Lens” opener, 9 p.m., PBS. After a too-long introduction, we get great stories about photographing rock stars. Sure, some have been difficult; Kurt Cobain arrived four hours late, promptly asking for a vomit pale. But others — Beyonce and Bob Dylan and Jimi Hendrix and more – have shown a natural sense for great visuals. For one session, the photographer had only 30 minutes, a tiny apartment and – in lieu of catering – lollipops; Madonna turned them into sexy props. This is produced by Gered Mankowitz (see separate story), who photographed Hendrix, the Rolling Stones, Marianne Faithfull (shown here) and more.
2) “Great Performances,” 10 p.m., PBS. For the second straight week, this catches joyous Latino music. Unlike last week, however, this one has sparse talk and ample music. The Raices Jazz Orchestra offers the sounds of Cuba, Brazil, Spain, Venezuela and the Peruvian Andes. The first tune is stagnant visually, but the second – fueled by Brazilian singer Anaadi – is vibrant. From then on, the hour soars.
3) “Schmigadoon,” any time, Apple TV+. Here’s a true gem, matching “WandaVision” for smart-yet-loopy fun. Cecily Strong and Keegan-Michael Key stumble onto a magical town, where people seem to be inside Broadway musicals. She’s delighted, he’s appalled and the songs keep coming. They’re wonderfully written by Cinco Paul (see separate story), who also did the clever scripts with Ken Daurio. Barry Sonnenfeld skillfully directed a great cast, with Alan Cumming, Dove Cameron, Kristin Chenoweth, many more.
4) More streaming. “Making the Cut” is finally back for its second season, 15 months after the first ended. Tim Gunn and Heidi Klum, the former “Project Runway” people, start with 10 designers. There’s more non-fiction, including a Paul McCartney series on Hulu, a Naomi Osaka profile on Netflix and a Disney+ batch of shows from National Geographic’s “SharkFest” – including an excellent portrait of Paige Winter, a teen who remains vibrant after losing a leg to a shark.
5) “Charmed,” 8 p.m., CW. A week before the season-finale, Macy, Maggie and Mel confront the Whispering Evil. Even the combined power of the three women might not be enough. Also, Macy must face down Abby’s mother; Mel may go into labor prematurely, unless Josefina can help.