1) “Dopesick” debut, any time, Hulu. On the national level, this epidemic is massive. Each year, studies say, two million people misused opioids; in a 20-year stretch, almost a half-million died of ovedoses. Danny Strong (“Game Change,” “Recount”) has written a brilliant eight-parter that does it all. We see the big picture, as Purdue Pharma mis-represents OxyContin. We also see moving stories about composite characters, with great work from Michael Keaton, Kaitlyn Dever and Rosario Dawson (shown here), as an earnest doctor, a pain-plagued miner and an investigator.
2) “The Conners,” 9 p.m., ABC. It’s wedding day, a big deal on its own. The show that started as “Roseanne” now sees the widowed Dan marrying Louise. But it’s also the night ABC has the original “Wonder Years” stars. On “The Goldbergs” at 8, Dan Lauria plays Murray’s feuding neighbor … On “Conners,” Fred Savage is Darlene’s therapist … On “Home Economics” at 9:30, Danica McKellar plays the head of a private school. On the “Wonder Years’ reboot at 8:30, Dean visits his parents’ work.
3) “CMT Artists of the Year,” 9 p.m., CMT, rerunning at 10:45. Three of the honorees – Luke Combs, Kane Brown and Gabby Barrett – will perform onstage performing; a fourth, Kelsea Ballerini, has a remote performance with her tourmates, the Jonas Brothers. Also honored will be Christ Stapleton and – as CMT’s sixth “artist of a lifetime”– Randy Travis. Also performing: Mickey Guyton (with Yola), Boyz II Men (wiith Kevin Olusola of Pentatonix) and Walker Hayes
4) “Legends of Tomorrow” and “Batwoman” season-openers, 8 and 9 p.m., CW. Our heroes did defeat the aliens and save Earth last season, but now they’re stranded in 1925 Odessa, Texas.Their time-travel ship is broken and the new FBI chief, J. Edgar Hoover, is suspicious. Then we find Ryan (Batwoman) trying to learn about her birth mother … and Luke (Batwing) still trying to master his suit.
5) “Chicago P.D.,” 10 p.m., NBC. As the season started, Hailey Upton and her boss, Hank Voigt, went semi-rogue to save a colleague. They ended up killing a culprit and hiding the body. That’s been wearing at her ever since … and now comes a horrifying new crime. It’s a strong, tough case that ends early, allowing time to re-raise questions about that earler one.