1) MTV Music Video Awards, 8 p.m., MTV, BET, CMT, VH1, Nickelodeon, TV Land, Paramount, Comedy Central. In the old days, MTV avoided rap; not any more. Missy Elliott (shown here) gets the Video Vanguard award and does a medley; Big Sean, Lil Nas X, Lizzo and Bad Bunny perform … leading, MTV says, to a big rap finale. Also performing: Taylor Swift, the Jonas Brothers, Normani, J Balvin, Rosalio, H.E.R. and Shawn Mendes with Camila Cabello. MTV reruns this at 10:30 p.m. and 1 a.m.
2) “So You Think You Can Dance,” 8 and 9 p.m., Fox. Here are back-to-back episodes of one of TV’s best reality competition shows. As usual, contemporary dancers prevail; five of the final eight dancers list that as their prime specialty. The exceptions are hip hop (Anna Linstruth), b-boy (Bailey Muniz) and ballroom (Ezra Sosa).
3) “The Big Bang Theory,” 8:30 and 9 p.m., CBS. With three weeks until a rerun of the delightful finale, here are two funny episodes to help get there. First, Amy ponders the weight of possibly being one of the few women to win a Nobel prize in physics. Then Penny encourages Leonard to assert himself and become the leader of a new study.
4) “I Ship It,” 9:30 p.m., CW. This mini-musical had a raggedly charming start last week, when Ella stumbled into an assistant’s job on the show she writes fan fiction for. Now she’s there, her friend has a guest role … and the story falters a bit. This week’s plot is so-so, salvaged by two things – the presence of Ethan Peck (Gregory’s grandson) as the show’s hero; and a delightful song about fans. Don’t expect big-budget choreography; “I Ship It” works miracles with four old phones and clever camerawork.
5) “Grand Hotel,” 10:01 p.m., ABC. The show’s well-known guest stars have key roles. Katey Sagal is Teresa, head of the crime syndicate that hotel-owner Santiago owes money to; she’s hosting a charity auction. Eva Longoria is (via flashbacks) Santiago’s late wife Beatriz. Her children, Alicia and Javi, learn more about her and the unmarked room, stirring reminders of their childhood confusion.