1) “Rebuilding Paradise” (shown here), 9 and 11:47 p.m., National Geographic. Ron Howard was already a great director of scripted films, with an Oscar (“A Beautiful Mind”) and a nomination (“Frost/Nixon”). Lately, he’s also been doing documentaries. After the 2018 wildfire, he focused on the gorgeous town of Paradise, Ca. There, we meet likable people, including a man who tells of going “from town drunk to mayor.” After the blaze, he was one of the first to rebuild.
2) “NCIS: Los Angeles” season-opener, about 8:30 p.m., CBS. A Russian bomber has crashed somewhere in the U.S. desert. Now Sam and Callen must find it quickly, to get the weapons and information, before the crew can destroy the plane.
3) “NCIS: New Orleans” season-opener, about 9:30 p.m., CBS. With New Orleans gripped by a COVID increase, Dr. Wade is overwhelmed by the volume in her morgue. And when Tammy and Carter probe a suspicious death on a humanitarian ship, they learn some crew members are infected.
4) “Masterpiece: Roadkill,” 9 p.m., PBS. As this four-parter opened last week, Peter (Hugh Laurie) was relishing his successful slander suit against a newspaper. Not so fast: Now the reporter is in the U.S., digging up the missing facts. And now the paper retaliates against Peter’s daughter – who soon strikes against him. Also, he’s just learned he has a third daughter, who’s in prison. Now there’s a prison riot and more. Stick around, because the hour ends with a double jolt.
5) “Moonbase 8” debut, 11 p.m., Showtime. First, Showtime has an expanded, one-hour version of “The Circus,” looking at Election Day. That’s at 7:30 and 10 p.m.; at 11, this comedy begins: Fred Armisen, John C. Reilly and Tim Heidecker play astronauts, preparing for a moon mission by staying in a simulated lunar colony in the desert.