1) “Survivor” opener (shown here), 8-10 p.m., CBS. It’s the 42nd edition, ranging from a 19-year-old Ivy League student to a 58-year-old retired firefighter. There are 18 people in all, some coming from light-hearted jobs – a waitress, a pageant coach, a fitness consultant. Others include a therapist, a veterinarian, a data scientist and a Yale Law School grad, working as a clerk for a judge.
2) “The Masked Singer” opener, 8 p.m., Fox. For the first time, word leaked out about the first person unmasked. Two judges walked off, apparently in protest that the person had “celebrity” status. We won’t do a spoiler here; Fox apparently plans to air the episode, but not necessarily as the opener. That’s followed at 9 by the debut of “Domino Masters,” with Eric Stonestreet hosting.
3) “Kung Fu” season-opener, 9 p.m., CW. Here’s a swirling start, mixing a high-stakes story with some beautifully executed martial-arts scenes. Twice, Nicky (Olivia Liang) suddenly confronts women who are skilled fighters. One means well and is a key addition to the show; the other is linked to Russell Tan, the menacing figure who looms over this season.
4) “The Flash” return, 8 p.m., CW. The eighth season started with a five-week “Apocalypse” tale, then rested for three months. Now it resumes where the seventh season ended: In the future, Bart and Nora know their time-travel has endangered their parents (including The Flash), their grandfather … and the world. They rush to repair it, in an episode that has its flaws, but also gives Bart (Jordan Fisher) some charming romantic moments.
5) “Snowfall” (FX) and “Good Trouble” (Freeform), both 10 p.m. Starting today, two solid cable dramas collide. “Good Trouble” begins with last-season’s cliffhanger: Tommy Sung’s trial ends and Callie tries to keep her boss out of trouble. Meanwhile, “Snowfall” brings back one of its best characters: Franklin’s mom returns, pondering his success … and the destruction of their neighborhood. She a strong figure with her own agenda, which we see in the final minutes.