1) “Top Gear,” 10 p.m., BBC America. The British have their own truck-driver shortage now, so the hosts switch gears. Accustomed to zippy little sports cars, they try behemoths. Paddy McGuinness (shown here), a truck-driver’s son, gets a 770- horsepower Scania, with high-tech details. He expects to visit greasy-spoon diners; instead, the truck-stop has sofas and a smiling barista. Despite trouble with accents and phrases, Americans will find this sort of fun.
2) “Young Sheldon” and “Ghosts,” 8 and 8:30 p.m., CBS. Some of the laughs vanished last week, when coverage of the congressional hearings bumped CBS’ comedies. Now they’re back: Barring a switch, the first rerun has Sheldon trying to talk Dr. Sturgis into returning to the school; Georgie jolts his parents by dropping out. The second finds Flower sheepish about her role in a bank robbery.
3) “Generation Gap,” 9 p.m., ABC. The Thursday games were also dumped last week, to make room for hearings coverage. Now they’re back. This one gives kids and grandparents questions about each other’s generations; barring a switch, tonight includes Miranda Sings, a zestful character (with 10 million YouTube subscribers) created by Colleen Ballenger. That’s surrounded at 8 by “Press Your Luck” and 10 by the true-crime show “The Fatal Flaw.”
4) “The Captain,” 7-11 p.m. ET, ESPN. First we get reruns of the first two hours of this seven-part documentary series, starting with Derek Jeter’s boyhood in Kalamazoo, Mich. Then new hours propel him toward Yankee stardom.
5) “Gojira” (1954), 10 p.m. ET, Turner Classic Movies. This was the original title for a Japanese film that became much bigger as “Godzilla.” The original drew praise for its special effects and it’s theme – a monster awakened by American nuclear tests. For the U.S., however, the old footage was mixed with a new plot (starring Raymond Burr) for “Godzilla, King of the Monsters.” In all, there have been 36 Godzilla movies – so far.
You may also like
Best-bets for March 30: CBS’ shows return; ABC’s leaves
Best-bets for March 29: Archie time-treks,Ted prospers
Best-bets for March 28: tough times in Brooklyn and Gotham
Best-bets for March 27: “Bachelor” and “Eye” conclude; Pink sings
Best-bets for March 26: “Succession” leads a surge of great drama