1) Football conference finals. It’s conference-championship time, with bowl berths at stake. ABC has three games – the Big 12 (Oklahoma, ranked No. 10, and Iowa State, No. 6) at noon ET, the ACC (Notre Dame and Clemson, No. 2 and 3, shown here in a previous game) at 4 p.m. and the American Athletic Conference (Tulsa, No. 23, and Cincinnati, No. 9) at 8. There are more, including the Big Ten at noon ET n Fox (Ohio State, No. 4, and Northwestern, No. 14) and the SEC at 8 p.m. on CBS (Alabama, No. 1, and Florida, No. 7).
2) “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” and “The Wizard of Oz (1939), 8 and 8:30 p.m., TNT. Here’s a perfect family night: First is the cartoon that is one of TV’s great moments; then is the classic movie.
3) “Saturday Night Live,” 11:29 p.m., NBC. For years, Kristen Wiig was the busiest “SNL” star, the centerpiece of sketch after sketch. She was the Kate McKinnon of her time, then left in 2012 after seven seasons. She’s had some big movie successes – “Bridesmaids,” “Ghostbusters,” “The Secret Life of Walter Mitty” – and done a lot of voice work. Now she has her fourth time as host; Dua Lipa is the music guest. And the 10 p.m. rerun has Kevin Hart, with music from the Foo Fighters.
4) “Global Citizen Prize,” 8 p.m., NBC. Jophn Legend hosts, in a night that offers lots of music while honoring influential leaders. He’ll perform, as will Carrie Underwood, Common, Alessia Cara, Gwen Stefani, JoJo and Tori Kelly.
5) Also: At noon, CMT reruns “CMT Remembers Charley Pride,” reflecting on the country-music great who died of COVID last Saturday, at 86. (The excellent “American Masters” profile of Pride is online, through Dec. 26, at www.pbs.org/americanmasters.) And at 8 p.m. ET, BBC America has the finale of its charming, three-part “Baby Chimp Rescue”: With their house and grounds swarming with 38 chimps, the couple begins re-introducing a few to the wild.
You may also like
Best-bets for March 30: CBS’ shows return; ABC’s leaves
Best-bets for March 29: Archie time-treks,Ted prospers
Best-bets for March 28: tough times in Brooklyn and Gotham
Best-bets for March 27: “Bachelor” and “Eye” conclude; Pink sings
Best-bets for March 26: “Succession” leads a surge of great drama